Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bishop Jonah elected Metropolitan

Incredible.

Fr. (Bi! MP!!) Jonah is my spiritual father. He gave the homily at my wedding. He catechized me and baptized me in the waters near Point Reyes. It was his gift of discernment that helped me find the blessedness of marriage - it was he who directed me away from the monastic life. He is a genuine father to me, and a dear friend.

I cannot believe that he is Metropolitan. The man is so young! It thrills me to think that he could be Metropolitan for 40 years. I've heard him rail against the disunity of American Christianity; I've had the privelege of hearing him give several homilies on the patristic vision of the spiritual life... He's a mystic, a genuine Orthodox Christian in the ancient tradition.

I am sad to be losing him - he is still my father, but he will be so busy that I can't imagine bringing simple requests about changes in my fasting obediences to the Metropolitan...

But I cannot think of anyone better. Anyone. He's American (Californian), a convert (like a significant portion of the active Orthodox Christians in this country), a missionary, and an eloquent teacher. He's a BUILDER. Look at what he has built - he's served and started mission parishes and a very successful monastery. We need that.

Praised be to God! Many years to the new Metropolitan. Many, many years. I hope he still stops by the other diocese occassionally so I can at least give him a hug.

Check out the OCA website for some of his homilies from the council. The one he gave BEFORE the election is probably what got him elected, and is so powerful... It's rare to hear someone declare simple, unadulterated truth and to call us to action on that TRUTH.

Many years, Mp. Jonah!

In Christ,
Macarius

No comments: